Otero County Inundated by Federal Agency Actions?
Are We Lucky, or What? By Walt Coffman 9/9/17
Here is a partial list of Federal actions (some pending) so far in 2017. Stay tuned for more:
- BLM Increase Federal Regulation in Otero County
Name parts of Otero County as “Backcountry” (affectsOtero Mesa, the BrokeoffMountains)
- USAF Holloman Airspace Change in Otero County:
Environmental Assessment for Holloman Air Force Base F-16 Use in White Sands Missile Range R-5111 C/D Airspace
USAF Holloman Airspace Expansion. Preferred Alternative is over Otero County:
Special Use Airspace Optimization at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico(affectsOtero Mesa, the Brokeoff Mountains)
- USAF Holloman Aircraft Expansion (flights over Otero County):
“Environmental Assessment, Interim Relocation of Two F-16 Squadrons” (affectsOtero Mesa, the Brokeoff Mountains)
- US Army Airspace Expansion (USFS) into Otero County:
High Altitude Mountain Environment Training Strategy (HAMETS) Helicopter Operations Project.(affectsOtero Mesa, the Brokeoff Mountains)
- US Army Airspace Expansion into Otero County:
“Environmental Assessment Project for Fort Bliss Local Flying Area and Local Flying Rules (FB 95-1), Fort Bliss, Texas and New Mexico” (affectsOtero Mesa, the Brokeoff Mountains)
- USFS (USFWS), Taking Water/Land from Stakeholders Impacts Otero County:
New Mexico Mountain Jumping Mouse Habitat Projects-Agua Chiquita
- USFS Forest Improvement Project Impacts Otero County:
South Sacramento Restoration Project (SSRP), 140,000 acres affected
- USFS Grazing – Allow or Not? Impacts Otero County:
Scott Able Grazing Allotment Management Analysis
- USFS Timber Salvage (Good Action in my view):
Hornbuckle Salvage Project
- USFS Pay Contractors Again. Contractor Welfare?:
Westside Sacramento Mountains Watershed Restoration and Fuels Reduction Project
February 2017, HAMETS is still coming to Otero County!
Heavy Helicopters in the Lincoln National Forest ??
Day and Night all across the Sacramento Ranger District !
The Army and the Lincoln National Forest are asking for comments on the plan to fly helicopters during night time into the Forest and practice landings. These are big, noisy helicopters!
See my comments Illegality #1 HERE.
See my comments Illegality #2 HERE.
See my comments on environmental impacts HERE.
The Lincoln NF Announcement. 30 days to comment!:
Contact me at walt AT weed-skies DOT org if you want to get involved!